In line with Syntax IT Services’ commitment to the continual improvement of security, we are pleased to announce that we have achieved our Cyber Essentials accreditation.
But what is Cyber Essentials and what does it mean for you? – we are here to explain :
Cyber Essentials is a government scheme designed to ensure that businesses employ a basic level of cyber security.
Following the government’s 10 steps to cyber security scheme in 2012, Cyber Essentials provides a benchmark of security for businesses in order to protect their own information and the information of their customers. The scheme consists of an assessment of current security measures to ensure that the necessary 5 key controls are in place as a basic level of protection. The certificate is evidence of a fundamental framework for protection against cyber threats which forms the basis of larger protection schemes where appropriate.
There are two levels of certification: Cyber Essentials and Cyber Essentials Plus. The former involves self-assessment followed by independent verification, annually, while the latter is externally tested.
1. Boundary firewalls and internet gateways for the prevention of unauthorised access.
2. Secure configuration to ensure that systems in use provide only the necessary functions required for their roles.
3. Access control to an appropriate level for employees with records of who has higher access within the company.
4. Malware protection installed and kept up-to-date.
5. Patch management to ensure that all software is the latest supported version.
As a Cyber Essentials certified company, you can be assured that Syntax IT Services employs a basic level of cyber security in compliance with government standards. This badge is merely evidence of the basic framework we employ in a much larger approach to cyber hygiene and demonstrates our ongoing dedication to cyber security overall.
Not only are we, ourselves, certified but we want to help you become accredited as well; we are able to guide you in becoming a certified company by helping you decide what level of certificate you wish to apply for and if necessary guiding you through the self-assessment questionnaire.